Blog update - the missing blogger years 2008 - 2023
It was 2006, I was in year 3 of 5 years of fulltime study at Newcastle uni, a double degree in social science and law majoring in gender and womens studies and I started this blog. I worked part time at Acon and Lifeline then, it was such an interesting time for me, so many opening doors. I'm enjoying reading my earlier posts here, it takes me back in a way that just looking at photos doesn't 💐 gift.
Following on from the posts from 2006 and 2007 - in 2008 I joined facebook and recorded my thoughts there instead but it's not the same thing as a blog - you can't review and reread fb posts in the same way as a blog. There is much richness in the years between 2007 and 2023, I could (and may) write about it in summary, the detail and fire has left the words when you're not writing in the moment but still a good story to tell.
2007 - living in Qld, studying part-time, working for the first time with my social science qualifications, my relationship of 5 years ended and we lost all 3 of our dogs in a 12 mth period - it was a challenging year.
2008 - We sold our house in Newcastle and I purchased my first house with a mortgage in my own name now that I was working and not studying full-time and had the income. (It might have made sense to move back to Newcastle at that point and keep that house but looking back that was one too many changes, my big anchor and security was my work in Qld which I loved so I stayed for another 2 years).
2009 - In my new Qld house, I adopted 3 new puppies during the course of a year. It was a happy time of new beginnings. I chose the house for the garden which had been developed over 20 years by the previous owners - no lawn at all, lots of native plantings on a large block, the house with lovely wrap around verandas. I painted the house vibrant colours inside and watched my puppies grow, these were happy times. My kids had gotten into a pattern of visiting a couple of times a year and I still loved my job, life felt good but it felt time to go back to NSW, closer to my kids but that was going to be a huge move with 3 dogs and my house and work located in Qld now.
2010 - In a huge leap of faith and engagement with lovely sincronicity I managed to easier rent out my Qld house and secure a rental house and find a job in Newcastle - I drove down with the dogs in 1 day only taking a couple of toilet breaks, the trip took 6 hours. I picked up the key to our new house, the first night spent on cushions I'd packed in the car, the furniture arrived the next day. It was a good move, the timing felt just right.
2011 - I bought a house in NSW, not Newcastle but on the Central Coast- my research indicated it was the best spot for work prospects and access to Sydney to see the kids. I still had my house in Qld so I didn't have much money to spend, I bought the cheapest house possible and celebrated by getting a 4th dog 🐾
2012 - I sold my Qld house and bought another house in the same suburb I was living in on the Central Coast - it was bigger and overlooked Budgewoi Lake. I kept both houses, rented out the first house and moved to the water view house. Both houses needed alot of repairs and updating, I'd made some improvements to the first house, mainly work on the yard but then I began working on the new water view place, starting with the garden.
2013 - work was going well, I finally had both feet back in NSW so I decided to have another go at meeting someone which happened with lightning speed.
2014 - I moved to her house and now I had both my houses rented out. Prue moved up to the Central Coast from Sydney and rented a cottage across the road from us.
2015 - early this year we cruised to NZ and got married there.
2016 - life was good, work was busy, I began renovating my houses with the proceeds from the rent I was receiving. Prue had periods during this year of being unwell and spending time in hospital.
2017 - I surprised myself and everyone else by moving back to my water view house as the relationship had broken down. It was a tough time but good to be back in my own house again.
2018 - My water view house was looking good, I'd worked on the garden and painted inside, installed a new front door and tarted it up, the market was good and although I loved the position I decided to sell and move back to the first little house I'd bought on the Coast.
2019 - It had been a big few years and I felt like it was time to set a different pace, I decided to retire early or at least take a significant break and set about renovating my little house. Around this time I lost Willow, 1 of the 3 dogs I'd adopted in 2008.
2020 - Prue moved into the studio I built in my garden. 2021-2023 Prue moving in was a great move, her health is greatly improved and I like being in a position to support her. The garden is a joy and becoming well established now I've been here 12 yrs. I still have 2 of the dogs I brought back from Qld as well as the celebration dog I adopted when I purchased this house in 2012 plus we also have Felix, Prue's wonder dog. Life is good and the blog is now updated.
photo 1 - Willow and Logan being fancy 🐾
photo 2 - my little house I kept
photo 3 - as I bought it in 2012
photo 4 - classic 1904 Newcastle house I sold when in Qld (earlier dogs Phoebe and Mintie loved studying in front of the fire with me)
photo 5/6 - before and after, the water view house
photo 7 - part of the lush garden in the Qld house I owned
Following on from the posts from 2006 and 2007 - in 2008 I joined facebook and recorded my thoughts there instead but it's not the same thing as a blog - you can't review and reread fb posts in the same way as a blog. There is much richness in the years between 2007 and 2023, I could (and may) write about it in summary, the detail and fire has left the words when you're not writing in the moment but still a good story to tell.
2007 - living in Qld, studying part-time, working for the first time with my social science qualifications, my relationship of 5 years ended and we lost all 3 of our dogs in a 12 mth period - it was a challenging year.
2008 - We sold our house in Newcastle and I purchased my first house with a mortgage in my own name now that I was working and not studying full-time and had the income. (It might have made sense to move back to Newcastle at that point and keep that house but looking back that was one too many changes, my big anchor and security was my work in Qld which I loved so I stayed for another 2 years).
2009 - In my new Qld house, I adopted 3 new puppies during the course of a year. It was a happy time of new beginnings. I chose the house for the garden which had been developed over 20 years by the previous owners - no lawn at all, lots of native plantings on a large block, the house with lovely wrap around verandas. I painted the house vibrant colours inside and watched my puppies grow, these were happy times. My kids had gotten into a pattern of visiting a couple of times a year and I still loved my job, life felt good but it felt time to go back to NSW, closer to my kids but that was going to be a huge move with 3 dogs and my house and work located in Qld now.
2010 - In a huge leap of faith and engagement with lovely sincronicity I managed to easier rent out my Qld house and secure a rental house and find a job in Newcastle - I drove down with the dogs in 1 day only taking a couple of toilet breaks, the trip took 6 hours. I picked up the key to our new house, the first night spent on cushions I'd packed in the car, the furniture arrived the next day. It was a good move, the timing felt just right.
2011 - I bought a house in NSW, not Newcastle but on the Central Coast- my research indicated it was the best spot for work prospects and access to Sydney to see the kids. I still had my house in Qld so I didn't have much money to spend, I bought the cheapest house possible and celebrated by getting a 4th dog 🐾
2012 - I sold my Qld house and bought another house in the same suburb I was living in on the Central Coast - it was bigger and overlooked Budgewoi Lake. I kept both houses, rented out the first house and moved to the water view house. Both houses needed alot of repairs and updating, I'd made some improvements to the first house, mainly work on the yard but then I began working on the new water view place, starting with the garden.
2013 - work was going well, I finally had both feet back in NSW so I decided to have another go at meeting someone which happened with lightning speed.
2014 - I moved to her house and now I had both my houses rented out. Prue moved up to the Central Coast from Sydney and rented a cottage across the road from us.
2015 - early this year we cruised to NZ and got married there.
2016 - life was good, work was busy, I began renovating my houses with the proceeds from the rent I was receiving. Prue had periods during this year of being unwell and spending time in hospital.
2017 - I surprised myself and everyone else by moving back to my water view house as the relationship had broken down. It was a tough time but good to be back in my own house again.
2018 - My water view house was looking good, I'd worked on the garden and painted inside, installed a new front door and tarted it up, the market was good and although I loved the position I decided to sell and move back to the first little house I'd bought on the Coast.
2019 - It had been a big few years and I felt like it was time to set a different pace, I decided to retire early or at least take a significant break and set about renovating my little house. Around this time I lost Willow, 1 of the 3 dogs I'd adopted in 2008.
2020 - Prue moved into the studio I built in my garden. 2021-2023 Prue moving in was a great move, her health is greatly improved and I like being in a position to support her. The garden is a joy and becoming well established now I've been here 12 yrs. I still have 2 of the dogs I brought back from Qld as well as the celebration dog I adopted when I purchased this house in 2012 plus we also have Felix, Prue's wonder dog. Life is good and the blog is now updated.
photo 1 - Willow and Logan being fancy 🐾
photo 2 - my little house I kept
photo 3 - as I bought it in 2012
photo 4 - classic 1904 Newcastle house I sold when in Qld (earlier dogs Phoebe and Mintie loved studying in front of the fire with me)
photo 5/6 - before and after, the water view house
photo 7 - part of the lush garden in the Qld house I owned






